Monday, November 21, 2005

Weekend Update

Saturday morning I worked out at the Novell Fitness Center and then went to the LDS Temple in Belmont. I went to get a key copied at the Home Depot in Waltham. There was a key machine located in the middle of an aisle, with no means for calling for help. A few employees passed by, but they were with customers. One employee walked by, he said someone else would have to help me because he was with an employee. I thought of a couple of people I work with at Novell - - these are alpa-consumers, role models for any downtrodden consumer to follow. These are the most exacting customers I've seen. I could not figure out whether they would demand better treatment or take their business elsewhere. I took off - - I'd made enough of any effort to give Home Depot my business (I think the keys are aobut $1.80 each, so Home Depot will live to regret the day Greg Jones went elsewhere to have his two keys made). Saturday evening I drove from my place to an LDS Chapel in Revere - - about a 30 minute drive from Waltham. On the way I drove through one crosswalk, failing to notice a man laden with grocery bags to my left making his way through the crosswalk. He was a tad bit vocal in expressing his disapproval of my driving. I arrived at my destination 10 or 15 minutes late after having taken only 2 wrong turns on the journey - - as is somewhat typical, I was following directions from www.mapquest.com, which I have to write down by hand because I have no printer in my apartment. At the LDS Chapel the youth of the Cambridge Stake performed "From Cumorah's Hill," a musical presentation for chorus, soloists and readers. The script was written by Brad Wilcox, a friend of mine from my Provo ward, and currently a mission president in Chile. Sunday I went to all of my Church meetings, and then did home teaching. At Church I met someone named Tiffany whose e-mail address includes the name "missgolightly." I had seen her name and e-mail address beore. I introduced myself. She is an engineer - - she agreed her profession did not quite match the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" theme. A little after 5:00 pm I had left for dinner with Ellen, a friend from my freshman year at BYU. She recently purchased a condominium in Lexington. By about 5:30 pm it is quite dark here, and I had a hard time locating her place. When I arrived at the address, I found myself at a large building after following a sign to the "Senior Center and Condominiums." This seemed just a bit odd. I attempted calling Ellen several times, but she had changed phone numbers, and my cell phone skills are abysmal. I had forgotten to write down her unit number, and thought it was 225. I went to 225. There were sounds coming from 224 - - the entire environment was reminiscent of those Sunday mornings in Littleton when my friends and I would take the Sacrament to Mary Booker and others at the nursing home. I gave a half-hearted knock at the door of 225. No one answered, and I took off. This was too weird! I stopped at the mailboxes on the first floor, and spotted Ellen's name on one of them. I went back up to her unit, which was in a different hall than 225. I heard steps coming to the door. The door opened. It was Ellen. We had a nice dinner in a unique condomimium that has high ceilings, 5 levels (5 levels, not floors; for example, it includes a loft), and a spiral stair case. And Ellen has decorated the place beautifully. It turns out that this building is just as described by the sign on the lot - - it contains condominiums, and it contains a senior center.

No comments: