Thursday, November 10, 2005
Walk Like an Egyptian
The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston has free admission Wednesday evenings and is open until 9:45 pm. In other words, this is a place for Greg Jones - - the operative attribute is "free." Yes, I was there just last night, and spent time at the MFA's permanent Egyptian exhibit. From my visit, I can tell you that those Egyptians were advanced for their times in many ways, but in some ways they were not. For example, their walking technique seems to have been somewhat archaic, and is now clearly obsolete in light of the way (most of us) walk today. They should, however, get credit for planning "ahead."
Those Egyptians who could afford it were buried with a spare head (made of stone) in case their own head were damaged in their journey through the afterworld. During life, while sleeping, they would supposedly rest their head on the inside of a stone arc mounted on a base.
Now, lest anyone underestimate (or "misunderestimate") the value of planning ahead, note that at this point I have no idea where I am going with this entry . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment