Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'll Be Back

Today I made it back to the Fitness Center for the first time since last Monday. I got there a little later that usual, so WOB (Workout Buddy) had to give me the daily plot summary after-the-fact. Here it is: "Buffy. Angel. Lover's quarrel. Demons attack. Angel destroys. Love survives." Missing work with the flu reminded me of some of those days you'd miss a day from school and have your mom nurse you back to health at home. I remember one time at Damon Runyan Elementary I was knocked unconscious on the playground (we were playing soccer, 2 of us kicked the ball at the same time, when I opened my eyes I was on my back, all kinds of kids had gathered around, and the PE coach was staring into my face). They sent for my mom. Back home I had a bit of headache, drank some cream soda, and then went to football practice. Another time I was home sick and watched the "Dialing for Dollars" movie on Channel 7. The host for some time had been a sportscaster named Starr Yelland, and then for a time a guy named Tom Shannon. It was pretty simple. During commercial breaks the host would call a few phone numbers, the person had to guess within $7 or so how much was in the "Dialing for Dollars" pot - - a correct answer won the pot, an incorrect answer added $7 or so to the pot. My phone never rang. This particular time that I stayed home I saw Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr, and others in "Ocean's 11." I resisted seeing the George Clooney remake for some time, I had to be loyal to the original, even though I had little recollection of the show beyond the title. When I started work at Novell I had the great opportunity to work with a lawyer named David Black who, it turns out, had lived a year or two in Montevista, Colorado, and had watched Tom Shannon hosting "Dialing for Dollars."

No comments: