Sunday, February 12, 2006

Vindication

My mind turned to my blog entry of February 5 as I read the following account of Oliver G. Snow, son of President Lorenzo Snow. “When in Oberlin, the following ludicrous circumstance occurred, which I will relate, though at my own expense. I was introduced to one of my father’s former college associates, by name Mrs. Bacon. Having formed a habit of associating an unfamiliar name which I wished to remember, with something familiar, I very naturally associated the lady’s name Bacon with hog; thinking that in the event of forgetting Bacon, it being so closely connected with hog, I could easily recollect it. But after spending a very pleasant evening in her house, on rising to take leave, I said, `I wish you good evening, Mrs. Ham.’ Although I realized my mistake the instant it was uttered, I made no apology, thinking `the apology might be worse than the offence,’ but concluded my plan was not so reliable as I supposed.” (Eliza R. Snow, Biography of Lorenzo Snow, p. 329-30)

No comments: