Saturday, February 4, 2006

Leftovers

Saturday evening I attended the Lincoln Day Dinner, a Republican Party fundraiser held at the ballroom of Utah Valley State College in Orem, Utah. There was much hobnobbing. I mingled with the crowd. At one point I engaged a state legislator in a discussion about some proposed legislation, and at one point asked him if here were a Democrat - - he was take aback just a bit, and I must confess that I apparently forgot where I was for a moment. I later shook hands with Senator Hatch. The post-dinner entertainment included a speech by Senator Bennett in which he extolled the newfound comic brilliance of Senator Hatch, which was to be shared with us several weeks after it was first served up back in Washington. His abilities came to the forefront at meeting of the Alfalfa Club. Senator Bennett gave us some background on the club, and here is a helpful entry from www.wikipedia.com: "The Alfalfa Club is an exclusive Washington, D.C. social organization, founded in 1913. The Club exists only to hold an annual banquet honoring the birthday of Civil War General Robert E. Lee. The club's membership, which numbers about 200, is composed primarily of American politicians and influential members of the United States business community, and has included several Presidents of the United States. Each member is permitted to bring two guests to the annual $185-a-plate dinner, held each year in January . . . One of the evening's activities includes the playful nomination of a presidential candidate by the Club's leadership. The candidate is then required to make a speech." This year's presidential "nominee" was Senator Hatch. In response to the introduction by Senator Bennett, Senator Hatch rose and began his account. He said he had prepared several jokes to share in his "acceptance speech," and that just after typing the last joke into his computer the phone rang. Vice President Dick Cheney was on the other end, and he informed Senator Hatch that he did not appreciate the last joke the Senator had just finished typing. Cheney then helpfully offered to share lists of Hatch's prescriptions, video rentals, and library loans for the preceding twelve months.

No comments: