Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Travel Ethics

Several years ago I went on a few business trips with a colleague - - I'll call him John Doe. When checking into a hotel he would say “Hi, I’m John Doe, and I’d like the IBM rate.” My colleague did not work for IBM, but it would not be unreasonable for the hotel desk clerk to infer that John Doe was an IBM employee, and the hotel would charge him the very low rates that IBM has negotiated for its business travelers. My colleague’s practice seemed a tad deceptive, and I asked him about it. His response: “It’s not dishonest. My name is John Doe, and I do want the IBM rate.” Today I flew from Boston to Salt Lake City. I was standing in line at the airport in Boston, waiting to go through security. A member of the security staff approached the lines of passengers asking “Anyone going to JFK?” People who responded “Yes” were allowed to go to the front of the line. I realized that I could accurately respond “Yes” as well . . .

No comments: