Wednesday, March 1, 2006

To Make A Search of an Area for Somebody or Something

I met with the Scouts tonight, about 4 young men ages 12 and 13. Tonight the scoutmaster helped the young men work on their Citizenship in the Community merit badge. This included an activity in which the scouts needed to identify key community buildings on a local map. None of them knew the location of the police station, which is located in downtown Provo. They also did not know which direction was north. I attempted to orient the scouts by calling out some well-known landmarks. I referred them to I-15, a major interstate that runs through Provo - - the name meant nothing to them. I then mentioned “Utah Lake,” which is one of the most prominent features of the valley in which we live. This name also meant nothing to them. I was amazed, but then began to question whether I would have been any more aware of my community when I was there age. I honestly don’t know. NOTE: I had this experience on March 1, and wrote this entry on March 15.

No comments: