Thursday, January 26, 2006

Wesley Snipes and Me

I came across an informercial the other day. It was an exercise equipment piece, so it was cast with "the usual suspects" - - Chuck Norris and Cheryl Tiegs (interchangeable with Christie Brinkley for infomercial purposes). I was surprised, however, when I saw Wesley Snipes appear on the screen as well. I suppose I had lost track of his career, but I guess I know how he rates nowadays . . . A couple of days ago a co-worker invited me to have dinner with him and his wife - - they were having leftover tacos and fajitas. This was a quasi-appealing invitation, which I rejected in part because the term "leftover" invites more questions than I dare ask (e.g., who prepared the food, how long ago, when you save leftovers does that include uneaten food on an individual's plate, how long did the food sit out before it was put into the refrigerator, can you verify that it was ever put in a refrigerator, can you otherwise document the chain of custody since the date the food was originally prepared, how many times has the food been re-heated for subsequent servings, and so on). A day after this initial invitation my co-worker told me that on February 4 his wife will be preparing Chinese food, and that contingent on any leftovers resulting from the initial meal, I am invited to their home on February 5. Although he subsequently offered a somewhat plausible explanation for this invitation, the likes of which I believe may have never been extended by one person to another in the history of Western civilization, I think I know how I rate . . .

No comments: