Sunday, January 15, 2006
Sneeze Suppression
There are two types of people in this world - - those who suppress their sneezes, and those who don't. Personally, I am not a sneeze suppressor, but I do attempt to direct sneezes so that no one is "in harm's way." I do recall at least one instance where it turned out someone was, in fact, directly in harm's way, but such is life.
Today at the airport I saw a young man who was a prodigious sneeze suppressor, and he'd also suppress the succession of sneezes that followed the initial sneeze. The typical pattern was one suppressed sneeze, followed by three "aftershocks." I observed the same pattern on the flight as he was seated across the aisle, one row behind me. I thought his head just might explode.
This prompted me to research the topic of sneeze suppression in depth (i.e., I did one Google search on the phrase). I discovered the tragic case appearing below.
PENNSYLVANIA WORKER'S COMPENSATION CASE
"Claimant Russell Carroll petitions for review of the May 25, 1999
order of the Workers' Compensation Appeal Board (Board) that reversed a decision
of the workers' compensation judge (WCJ) granting Claimant's claim petition and
awarding him specific loss benefits for loss of his left eye. Claimant contends that
the Board erred in articulating the burden of proof necessary to support an award
of benefits in a claim petition proceeding for specific loss benefits; Claimant also
contends that the Board erred in concluding that there was no substantial evidence
to show that Claimant's retinal detachment, which resulted from his suppression of
a sneeze during a business meeting, was caused by the condition of Employer's
premises. We reverse." (See www.romingerlegal.com/pacaselaw/commonwealth1/1516CD99.html)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment