Sunday, January 22, 2006
Housekeeping?
I went to a meeting one day, and the leader kicked things off by announcing he was going to do some "house cleaning." Depending on the circumstances, that could be a little disconcerting. He actually meant "houskeeping." For today's entry, I thought I'd let you in on some of the "human drama" that has been occurring recently at The Greg Jones Blog. As Bill said to Ted, or perhaps vice versa, "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."
Yesterday I set up a hosting account for the gregjones.org website. I obtained the gregjones.org domain name through register.com a few years ago. Before yesterday, I was using a free feature of register.com that would send visitors to gregjones.org to the livejournal site that houses The Greg Jones Blog; as a result, such visitors would see register.com banners at the top and bottom of their screens, and some users experienced technical problems. By using a hosting service for gregjones.org, visitors will no longer be redirected to another site, which will hopefully eliminate any technical difficulties users had with the prior approach. This also opens up an opportunity for me to provide content other than the blog. For now, the other content will be some family history materials, and I am experimenting with providing a reading list so that my vast audience can assess at least some influences on my mind and thinking, or things that should have influenced my mind and thinking had I been able to understand and remember them. The new website also has a "Contact Us" feature whereby visitors may send e-mails directly to me, Greg Jones.
By the way, I read on slashdot that hackers have been breaking into the livejournal site which, as I mentioned above, is the service I use for The Greg Jones Blog. If you happen to know any of these guys, please ask them to stop. Fortunately, in a show of unparalleled parental loyalty, my mom and dad took it upon themselves long ago to print out each and every blog entry. Anyway, here is the January 20, 2006 posting from slashdot.org:
An anonymous reader writes "Brian Krebs of the Washington Post has written about the recent spate of hijackings at Six Apart's popular LiveJournal service. Hundreds of journals have now been taken over by a notorious group called 'Bantown' using a series of complicated cross-site-scripting vulnerabilities. Krebs details the recent security changes made by LiveJournal in response to the takeovers." From the article: "It is unclear whether LiveJournal has managed to close the security holes that the hackers claim to have used. The company says it has, but the hackers insist there are still at least 16 other similar Javascript flaws on the LiveJournal site that could be used conduct the same attack. [Bantown] group members said they plan to turn their attention to looking for similar flaws at another large social-networking site."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment