Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Sweet!
I refer you to the comment posted for my previous entry. It appears that none other than Napoleon Dynamite is now reading Greg Jones' Blog. Appearances, however, can be deceiving. I have persuasive circumstantial evidence that the comment was left by a certain colleague of mine. I loaned him my Napoleon Dynamite DVD last week. Since then, he has uttered the expression "Sweet!" a total of 15 to 20 times in speech or writing. His use of the term "Gosh!" is almost as frequent.
I now call on every person reading this blog to make Napoleon Dynamite as broadly available as possible. Now, you may be confronted with an occasional setback - - I tell you now that when that happens, I will feel your pain. I took the clip of Napoleon Dynamite's appearance on David Letterman and shared it wth my international colleagues. With few exceptions, the Europeans gave it a thumbs up, as did most of our AsiaPac contingent. However, a young colleague from China carefully watched the clip, and then remained staring ahead without expression (in retrospect, the expression was eerily Napoleon-like). "Did you understand it?" I asked. She responded "I understood it. But it is not funny!" Devastating. But I carried on, sharing the DVD with a colleague who came to the U.S. when she was in the ninth grade. She enjoyed the movie a great deal. Her favorite character? Pedro!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment